shared by Jason Leung 19th Feb 2015
I was going to do a step by step on how to bicarb beef, but forgot to take pictures!
1) Slice 400g beef a tough cut like topside or ‘stewing/braising’ beef across the grain
2) Mix 1 tsp of bicarb and a little water with meat, cover and refrigerate overnight.
3) Rinse meat thoroughly under running water for a couple of minutes (pic1)
4) Allow to drain and then marinate with light and dark soy, pepper sesame oil and a couple of teaspoons of cornflour (pic 2)
5) Jou yu, or ‘velvet’ in warm oil until half cooked (pic 3)
6) Drain & beef is ready to use
7) Cook however you want!