I cannot remember where I got this recipe from but it has worked well everytime. I have tried without vinegar before and it still seems to work. The below sponge ingredients is only enough for 2 layers. The last few times I have omitted the vinegar and the sponge still comes out well. I would recommend you use 00 flour.
4 eggs separated
64g flour (00 flour is recommended)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon vinegar/lemon juice (I have left this out several times and the sponge still comes out well)
3 Tablespoon of oil veg
whipping cream/double cream
Fruit of choice and toasted almonds
1) Sift the flour and baking powder twice in a bowl
2) In a separate bowl beat until thick, Egg white, cream of tartar, vinegar. Once thick, add 50g sugar and beat until it shines.
3) In another bowl beat Egg yolk and add 50g sugar, beat until sugar is dissolved and then add milk and veg oil and stir well. Then fold in the flour mixture.
4) Fold the yolk mixture with the white mixture 1/3 at a time.
5) Pour mix into 8inch tin, bake for 25mins at 160 fan oven. Line the bottom of the tin with parchment but do not line the sides, the cake needs cling onto the sides to rise evenly.
Beat cream and sugar until thick, you can add the sugar to taste, it depends on how sweet you like it.
toast the almonds gently until you get a nice colour.
Fruit of choice
Assemble by using one layer of sponge, spread cream and add fruit, repeat with as many layers as you like. I put cream all around the cake and then press the almonds around the cake. Decorate the top with fruits of choice.
Wai Han’s cake